Friday, August 28, 2009

Never stop creating!



How incredible! It seems like such a simple idea (and difficult execution) but this is truly unique to me. This is a painting on glass panes but I feel like this head is suspended in water, like it should be in a jar on a mad scientist's desk. It makes me think about all the different techniques waiting to be discovered out there. I guess that is sort of my job, to try new things that have never been done before. I don't think I embrace that enough. Time to be more adventurous!

On another note, last night an unfortunate circumstance had me running all over my neighborhood (literally) trying to track someone down. I never found him, but something cool happened. I met a bunch of my neighbors, and they are great. The gentleman who owned the house everyone was sitting in front of is named Dave. After I had talked to almost everyone else, I started talking to Dave. See, everyone seemed to be fascinated by my "creativity". Not sure why, because everyone has it. But then, Dave started talking about himself a little. Dave went to art school for photography. I'm pretty sure Dave is retired now, so I was asking him questions about his career throughout his life and so forth. Turns out he never pursued photography after college. "It didn't pay the bills." And when I asked him if he still takes pictures and enjoys creating, he kept saying, "it just doesn't pay the bills."
This made me pretty sad. Every time he said that, I followed up with "don't ever stop creating!" It's amazing how much we sacrifice to the "conventions of life", the things we feel we have to do in order to be responsible. Who in the hell made these rules anyway? Dave assured me he is happy with his lovely home and his lovely wife, Judy (who is a trip!). So I guess as long as he has found happiness somewhere, life is still good. It's just a shame he felt he had to give up his love and his talent because he needed to make money. What happened to having both?

No comments:

Post a Comment